Monday, May 18, 2015

Transfers are this Week!

 We went on splits with our favorite members for the last time maybe! I love these girls. I really don't want to leave Song Shan ward!!

I really don't even know how to start this email.. Looking back at this week, I'm just in complete awe at all of the incredible experiences we had. From the second P-day ended Monday at 6 pm, we saw miracles hour after hour. Teaching lessons on the street, and exceeding our daily goals, finding a ridiculous amount of prepared people, teaching people how to pray, inviting people to be baptized, seeing peoples' hearts change, and the list goes on. It really has been an incredible, incredible week. I can't stop smiling, thinking about all of the people we met.. all of the conversations we had with people that were more than just small talk. It was such a happy week!

Sister Stevens and I talked a lot about what we thought the difference might be. What changed? When I first got on the island and was introduced to Song Shan, Sister Stevens and I committed to leave this area better than we found it, and to really build up this area by finding all the prepared people to share the gospel with. She was fairly new to the area as well, and I remember starting out feeling like I would never be able to speak a word of Chinese, or have a decent contact. I remember wondering how one could really serve for 18 months without seeing any progression first hand from so much hard work and effort. I remember wondering if we'd ever find a new progressing investigator.. I remember doubting that I'd be able to make a difference in this area at all. Weeks later, and here I am. I can't get this smile of my face, and this warm feeling to leave my heart.

One of the many experiences we had this week was during the last hour of the night after we had a lesson at the church. We had already done our 2 hours of finding, and were out of Books of Mormon and made our goals for the day, so we were feeling pretty good. We were going to decided whether we should go home and makes some calls to set up with people, or keep finding without Books of Mormon. But while we were at the church, there was a Book of Mormon sitting on a table, and we knew we needed to give it to someone tonight. We went to a park to keep finding, and met a guy named            . He was not interested. He said religion appeals to him in no way. Trying to determine whether we should move on to talk to someone else or not, I felt we needed to keep talking to him. After getting to know him and talking with him a bit, he said he'd pray with us. By the end of the contact, his whole countenance had changed. Sister Stevens said another prayer before we left and during the prayer, I could hear him breathing quicker and heavier, as if he was feeling something he'd never felt before...He said he'd be baptized if he knew the Book of Mormon was true. Looking back, I don't think our contact was that great. But the spirit was present. And it undoubtedly touched his heart.. 

I don't know why I have ever doubted. Everyday this week strengthened my faith more than ever. Our new investigators all really seem to be searching for these truths. After almost every person we talked with, Sister Stevens and I would just look at each other in complete awe. We'd return to our apartment every night with so much gratitude in our hearts, and smiles on our faces.

I've learned so much from these two transfers. Sister Stevens and I know we are so imperfect and weak, and I finally learned that those weaknesses are what built up our companionship and our area. Week after week, we made goals and focused on specific areas that we needed to improve on rather than feeling overwhelmed by every single thing we do wrong. We focused on having faith. We sincerely prayed for guidance to know who to talk to. We did our best to rely on God. 

Transfers are this week! We have no idea which one of us will be leaving. We find out this week, and then the transfer meeting is on Friday. I'm hoping neither of us will leave, but usually after training, then you get a "breaker" which is basically the companion you have that "breaks" you into missionary life. It's normally not your trainer, but you never know. We'll see! I'm a little nervous about not being Sister Stevens companion anymore. I've just loved being her companion so much and I have learned so much from her. Serving with her these past two transfers will undoubtedly shape the rest of my mission for good.

I was reading this morning in Alma 26:
 11 But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.

 12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea,behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

 13 Behold, how many thousands of our brethren has he loosed from the pains of hell; and they are brought to sing redeeming love, and this because of the power of his word which is in us, therefore have we not great reason to rejoice?



This chapter has taken a whole new meaning to me.
The success we've seen this week is all from God. I just feel so lucky to be apart of his work and to do my best to be an instrument in his hands. No matter who my new companion is, I know that God qualifies those that are called to serve him.

Sister Hendricks

 ​This was the funnest FHE I've ever been to. Being with a group of ladies from Song Shan ward. Seriously there's nothing better than these people.
 Got my essentials. Books of mormon, english class books, bug spray, helmet and contacting tracts.
​Taipei 101 in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment