Sunday, May 31, 2015

Preparing for the most humid summer of my life...

 I'm going to miss Sister Stevens seriously so much. I learned more from this transfer than I thought I could learn! She helped me learn the beauty of hard work and finding joy in the journey. Because of this transfer, I can never doubt in God's ability to change peoples' hearts. She helped me have faith every single day despite the weather, or how many appointments cancelled, despite the rejection. She is one incredible missionary and I love her so much!
 Cute Shen YingJie (Karen). I will miss her so much! I love SongShan ward!

Hello!

This week, we showed up to every appointment completely drenched. But not because of the rain. I asked Sister Peng if this is the hottest it gets and she just laughed at me. I apparently haven't seen anything yet. But I love it! I feel so exhausted everyday. The weather is so humid, and our area has a bunch of hills which makes biking a bit more difficult. But there's something so exciting to me about biking from place to place, out of breath, drenched in sweat, occasional unexpected rainstorms with no rain jacket with us, etc. It adds a thrill to the journey.

This week has been a bit difficult. Sister Peng and I struggle to communicate well with the language barrier, but I'm learning a lot of patience and humility. She is a very incredible missionary but I know she's struggling with a lot right now and we have to have patience with each other.

I was reading in Alma 37 this week and it helped me see the importance of "Finding Joy in the Journey". It can apply to more than just missionaries. Just the concept of continuing on in faith.

First, we need to do every little thing in our power to be better each day.
"6 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.
7 And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls."


Then, we need to remember our purpose, and what we want to teach the people we meet on the streets.

"32 And now, my son, remember the words which I have spoken unto you; trust not those secret plans unto this people, but teach them an everlasting hatred against sin and iniquity.
33 Preach unto them repentance, and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ; teach them to humble themselves and to be meek and lowly in heart; teach them to withstand every temptation of the devil, with their faith on the Lord Jesus Christ.
34 Teach them to never be weary of good works, but to be meek and lowly in heart; for such shall find rest to their souls.
35 O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God."


Of course, we can't rely on ourselves. So we need to put our trust in God, and constantly pray to him. And when days are still hard, remember the blessings He has poured upon us in the past, and trust that they will still come.

"36 Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.
37 Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day."


This life wasn't meant to be easy. It was never easy for Christ. It can't be easy for us. If there were no challenges, there would be no growth. We wouldn't be able to experience joy if we didn't know the feeling of pain. Therefore, we have to press forward and be faithful and diligent.

"41 Nevertheless, because those miracles were worked by small means it did show unto them marvelous works.They were slothful, and forgot to exercise their faith and diligence and then those marvelous works ceased, and they did not progress in their journey;
42 Therefore, they tarried in the wilderness, or did not travel a direct course, and were afflicted with hunger and thirst, because of their transgressions.

44 For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss, as it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass, which would point unto them a straight course to the promised land.
46 O my son, do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; for so was it with our fathers; for so was it prepared for them, that if they would look they might live; even so it is with us. The way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever.
47 And now, my son, see that ye take care of these sacred things, yea, see that ye look to God and live. Go unto this people and declare the word, and be sober."

I miss you all! Hope you have a great week :)

Sister Hendricks
 The day before transfers, I got to spend the day with Sister Good and Sister Cardon in SongShan since all of our companions were at the trainer meeting! Super fun being companions with my MTC buddy for another day.
 Welcome to XiZhi!
 XiZhi has so many mountains~ SongShan had none. It's been a beautiful view everyday :)
Sister Peng and I! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment