Monday, March 23, 2015

Week 4 in Taiwan!

Nimen Hao!

I can't believe today is already p-day. This week just flew by. Most likely as a result of going on exchanges, and doing splits with the girls in our ward. I went to the area Xin'An for a day with Sister Branch and then Sister Stevens stayed in SongShan. Then one night, we had two sisters come do splits with us. I've been worrying a little bit lately about when I'm done training that it's
Sister Branch & I
very possible I'll be taking over the area. I know I still have about 8 weeks, but that will just fly by and I want to be prepared. So going on splits was great preparation for that. They're both preparing to serve missions so it was really exciting for them. I remember in Georgia, we were going to do splits once since we had two appointments set up at the same time. It never happened because one of the appointments cancelled, but I remember being so scared being separated from my companion and taking charge for a couple hours. I laughed at that memory as it suddenly hit me that I would be without Sister Stevens for the night, and I could no longer rely on her if I didn't understand what the person said to me. The girl that came with me was Karen (YingJie). She is so sweet and she's done a mini mission before but was still super nervous. I knew I had to just find the courage to do the things that Sister Stevens has taught me, and I was surprised at how much I was able to say and do. I felt like Karen really enjoyed her time and we were able to learn from each other. I realized that it doesn't matter how well I say the message (though, it wouldn't hurt to be understood the first time), but it's so much more important to just remember what my purpose is in walking up to someone, and remembering the reason I want people to hear this message. It's so much more important to listen with love. It was a cool experience.

We had a few other awesome things happen this week. We had a really good lesson with Vincent this week, and we got him set on date again for baptism! Sister Stevens said she's invited him several times to be baptized and every time, he sits and thinks and hesitates before saying yes or no. But this time, we invited him to be baptized on April 19th, and his whole face lit up and without any hesitation he said "hui!" (will - or in other words, yes!). I felt so happy to see him so willing. We're just going to do our best to follow up with him every day on his smoking addiction and his Book of Mormon reading. We're so excited for him!

The other day, we were going to meet with a recent convert at the train station, and when we got there she called us and said she'd be 10 minutes late. So we were trying to think of what the best use of our time would be in those short 10 minutes, and we decided we both felt that we could teach a lesson to someone. So we said a prayer and then the first person I saw when I opened my eyes, I walked up to and started talking to her. She was so friendly and actually stopped and talked with us. Most people are in a rush, or will just pretend like they can't hear us or that we're non-existent. But she actually listened to us and we found out she was also a Christian. We shared a little bit about the Book of Mormon, and gave her one. She doesn't live in our area but said she'd be willing to meet with the missionaries over her area. It was a really cool experience.

Overall, it was a great week. Hope all is well! Miss you all!

Sister Hendricks

View outside member's home
Biking in the rain this morning!



No comments:

Post a Comment