Sunday, July 26, 2015

XiZhi ls So Pretty I Never Want to Leave!

 
 Exchanges a few weeks ago with Sister Aldous!
This week (the past 4 days) was very up and down. For the most part, it was really enjoyable! Starting with attending the temple Wednesday. It has been way too long. Being on my mission has helped me see the importance of attending the temple frequently. The comfort I received at the temple that day was much needed. I feel refreshed.

Sometimes, I really don't know how I've been able to be a missionary. This week, we went to visit a member that lives on the top of a mountain. So, we started biking and after about 25 seconds, Sister Peng's bike chain (or something like that) broke, making her wheel unable to turn. So we parked our bikes on the side of the road, and hiked to their house. Then on the way back, we thought we would be able to fix it, but after dirtying up our hands and clothes trying to figure it out, we concluded we'd have to carry her bike to the bike shop near our house before curfew at 9:30 pm. We would have waited til the next day but since the next day was Sunday, we figured we should get it fixed that night so we could use her bike the next day. So we took turns, one person walking my bike with all our stuff, and the other carrying her bike. It took us about an hour and a half to get to the bike shop at 9:10 pm, where it turns out they were closed. The cool thing was, some members saw us on our way to the bike shop and got out and helped us. Since the bike shop was closed, Brother Huang helped us fix her bike enough so that she could still ride it, but can't switch gears. We still made it home by 9:30 pm, but wow. We were so exhausted.

So yes, sometimes I really don't know how I've been able to do it. While we're riding our bikes in some intense level of either rain or humidity with the weight of 4+ Books of Mormon and over a hundred pamphlets, fliers, tracts, etc. placed on our backs, up and down hills (sometimes on empty stomachs), arriving to a place to find for 3+ hours and hear the same excuses over and over and over, I really wonder how it's possible. But this week, I learned a lot. First of all, it is not ever by my own strength that I do these things. I know it's from my Father in Heaven. Second of all, God gives us exactly what we need to endure and survive, yet still learn and grow.

This week, the "boosts" that God offered me were through the love of others, specifically my companion. After a long day of working and carrying bikes, sometimes all you need is a hug and a listening ear, and my companion is always there to offer one with her ears wide open. The importance of developing that kind of unity is so grand. Recently, Sister Peng and I have put forth such great effort into showing love to each other, as well as members and investigators. It has softened my heart on the days when I really feel like I can't do it anymore. I know that love can change hearts, and give us the strength we need to keep going.

At the end of the day, I still can't deny the goodness of God and the truthfulness of this work. If anyone is being converted through my mission, it's me. No, we don't have any progressing investigators. No, we haven't helped anyone prepare for baptism. But, I myself (though I am unable to be counted as a "key indicator" to report to my District Leader on Sunday nights), am converted more and more every day. I know this work is true. I know God lives, and He loves us.

I also testify that carrying bikes down mountains strengthens your faith. 
Sister Hendricks
Costco trip last P-day
 Costco - Taiwanese style

This is what happens when you buy a basket for your bike: In addition to having Books of Mormon placed inside, our fellow Taiwanese give us free cigarettes...不要
There is nothing better than fruit in Taiwan~
Unity activity for our awesome members!

No comments:

Post a Comment